Skip to main content

Crayon holder...

Mini Marker/ Crayon Holder
that is "baby proof too"


My eldest daughter recently got some mini pip sqeak markers and loves using them however there are so many of them that they often end up all over the table or floor and her little trouble maker of a baby sister tries to take them away from her!

Solution Create a pretty tin to keep them in so that she can see all the colours at once, they dont roll off her table and when closed her sister can not get to the markers!


Materials Needed

1 can with plastic lid that will fit your crayons or markers
1 peice of fabric that will cover the sides of your can
1 can of spray glue
1 Fray check
1 can of clear spraypaint (optional)
1 quilting ruler and rotary cutter (optional)or ruler and scissors)
1 scissors
1 can of clear spraypaint (optional)
1 peice of  card stock (not pictures I used an old file folder also optional)



I ended up not using the glue gun 

I started by Spraying the outer edge and inside of the can with clear spray paint to help seal the edges since they were a little rough where the stay fresh seal had been removed, this is a totaly otional step I spayed my can in a cardboard box with one side cut out in a well ventalated area but you could also do this outside.
( I also used this set up again  later on)




Next is the other optional step I decided to line the cans bottom inside, I traced the can onto a peice of card stock and cut just inside the lines for a snug fit.  then glue it to the bottom of the can after checking for fit ( I used a little spray glue, however any craft glue would work here (such as the unused glue gun in my picture)


Now on to the necessaries part.

Measure the height minus the top and bottom lip and approximate circumference of the can, cut a peice of fabric the height of the can and a little longer than circumference of the can.




Next wrap your fabric around your can and chek for fit, if it needs to be cut down a bit more do that now, you want the fabric to come just up to the top but not over it or the lid may not fit back on properly.
note you want a little overlap of the fabric (about 1/2 a centamiter or so)

next spray the outside of the can with spray glue and wrap with the fabric around your can, let the glue dry then trim the overplap as close to the seam as possible

finally along the exposed eges of the fabric drip some fray check and let it dry this step will keep the edges of your fabric from fraying and also help glue them to the can a little as well. 
(This is actually quite stinky and you may want to do this outside as-well, the smell does not last long though.)

Fill with crayons or markers and let your little one colour away.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reusable Cotton Mak-Uup Pads...Tutorial

Make Your Own Cotton Make-Up Removal Pads A Tutorial I have been a a de stashing kick lately and one of the things I have a lot of bits of is cotton yarn.  I recently renovated my Master bathroom and as a result I have been trying to de clutter and one thing I figured I could get ride of is the cotton pads and balls from under the sink (by using them) and replace them with a single set of reusable cotton pads that will a small jar on my counter and in doing so also save me some money by  keeping me form buying more single use cotton pads in the future.  As I was making my little circles I took some photos to share the process with you. Step 1 Create a magic circle and cast on 6 Step 2 Close the Magic Circle Step 3 Chain one, 2 Single Crochet in each Single crochet and slip stich to close Step 4 Chain 2, 2 Double Crochet in each single crochet and slip stitch.     Step 5 With Darning needle sew in the loose ends Step 6 Clip remaining ends Repeat as needed.

Hello Again and the Organizing Challenge

Hello Again Everyone It has been a long time since I have taken the time to share my Craftyness with you.  This is not because I have not been crafty but more because I have gotten busy and probably a little lazy also my place is kinda messy and often I feel some tidying needs to be done before I can take pictures to show and then well .... It just kinda falls by the way side. I have decided I am going to try to ease back into doing more crafting and more blogging, and the way I have decided to do this is by taking part in an organizing challenge on one of my favorite Thrifty blogs,  Mrs January.com . and I will try my best to share my results with you here on my blog. I have decided to share this here as one of the biggest obstacle I have when wanting to be crafty is not having an organized and tidy home, to be crafty in, so my hope is that by the end of June I will have a more pleasant place to be crafty and continue to share my craftiness with you. So who is with me? check o

30 Day Organizing Challenge Day 1 Results

30 Day Organizing Challenge  Day 1 Organize Your Purse, Diaper Bag or Wallet Results As part of getting back into blogging I am taking part in MrsJanuary.com An Organized Home in 30 Days Challenge and blogging about it here. Well it was late last night but I finally went to my front hall and found this mess of purses and bags that I use on a regular bases. I took all these bags and looked inside, none of these bags had every thing I would need if I needed to run out of the house right now, they were also so messy it would have been difficult to find what i needed easily. A small clutch, a bag I took shopping, a bag with stuff for my kids and a bag with my wallet and some crochet...none are useful on their own at the moment So to Start I dumped every thing out on the Coffee Table. Next I put things I did  not need in my every day bag away. I put a spare bathing suit and towel in one bag to leave in the back of my front hall closet for last min